April 7th Program-Due to all of the “to-do” with the Corona Virus, Christa’s April visit is postponed until we can reschedule. We will leave the class sign ups as they exist. If anyone pre-purchased books from her (she would have brought them and they could have been picked up at the meetings), she will ship them later this week. If anyone else would like to place their book order they are $24.95 with free shipping when they use the code “local” at checkout. Just a note, this is one way we can help Christa. (Her small business will be impacted along with everyone else’s.) Let’s be kind, patient, understanding, safe and prayerful as we all make our way through this crazy, scary time. And in the meantime, thank goodness for fabric, thread and sewing machines!
May 5th Program-Melanie McNeil – Catbird Quilt Studio. Our guest lecturer for May will be Melanie McNeil of Catbird Quilt Studio. Melanie is an expert on Medallion Quilt design and strategies. She will present her lecture, “Medallion Quilts Design Basics” at both meetings, sharing her secrets and tips for creating these special quilts. Melanie is from Iowa City, IA and is an active member of Old Capitol Quilters Guild. Check out her blog at catbirdquilts.wordpress.com.
David Taylor Workshop Sign-ups Continue at March/April meetings $35.00/class
Sat., May 30 – Layered or Pictorial Hand Applique “Flowers of the Month” $30 kit or $10 pattern only and bring your own fabrics. “Summer Gardener” $30 kit required
Sun., May 31 – Turned Edge Machine Applique. “Under the Apple Tree” Block, $30 kit required. “Machine with Adjustable Blind Hem Stitch Capability required. Older-model domestic machines, basic straight stitch models and portable ‘Feather Weight’ machines are not well suited for this class.” D. Taylor.
Mon., June 1 – Precision Machine Piecing “What a Flake” Snowflake Block. 2 fat quarters. $10 pattern required
- Signups will be limited to 2 classes per person
- Payment is DUE at time of sign-up. New Board Policy: All Checks and cash will be deposited during the month they are received.
- A Third Choice Waiting List is available if you wish to take a 3rd class. Those people will be notified after the April general meetings if space is still available. Payment for the 3rd class will be collected at that time.
- Snowbirds and Members unable to attend the March or April meetings will be allowed to have a friend sign them up – limit of 2 friends per person.
- Spaces will be reserved to allow evening attendees the chance to sign up.
- David will have an extensive pop-up shop at the workshops and lectures where patterns and kits will be available to purchase.
Tues., June 2 – David Taylor Lectures
Don’t miss David’s energetic and entertaining lectures! “Artistry through Applique”- afternoon
“Uniting the Nations – Determination, Imagination, Procrastination” – evening
Save The Date!!
What: “Border of the Quarter” Trunk Show and Kickoff
When: Saturday, May 9. 10 – noon
Where: Butterworth Education Center, Moline, IL
As a follow up to Melanie McNeil’s lectures in May, Mary Korrect and Jan Ragaller, (Mary’s sister, quilt designer, pattern writer and teacher from Rockford, IL) will share a trunk show of Medallion Quilts and describe the Border Challenge process. This will kick off our own MVQG “Border of the Quarter” Sew Along. Come and See!
It’s Fun and its FREE! No commitment – just information.